Community Engaged Research Projects Reflection

I've really enjoyed reading many of the pieces we've worked with over the last few weeks, and I wish we had more time to do close readings of them and really talk as a group about the points that are being made in them.  It feels a lot like we're just skimming through these really well in-depth topics, but I guess they'll be more time for that as the quarter goes on.

To me, one of the most interesting topics we've read would have to be the history of migration.  I believe it was the week 3 reading which went into it the most (age of migration chapter 10?) but most of the readings have at least touched on it.  I always forget how much I like history until suddenly I'm two hours into reading Wikipedia articles and it's midnight and I don't remember how I got here.  The way migration is affected by so many different factors we have yet to fully understand is definitely something I would like to read more about.  Specifically the different theories and schools of thought surrounding the topic.

No matter what it is, I'm always drawn to trying to understand the inner workings of things (economics, cars, the bits of computer parts spread out over my desk as I write this) but in this case, with this topic, I don't know if it can be approached in the same 'take it apart and look at it' kind of way that I usually end up taking.  Migration is a collection of personal experiences which somehow feels drastically different even from other 'personal experience' topics like literature, music or language.  As interested as I am in reading more about different theories of why migration happens and why it happens from one place to another, I end up wondering if it's really something that can be nailed down and understood properly with a unifying set of theories.  Then again, I'm still new to this whole subject, and maybe it's still mostly my own ignorance that makes me feel like it's different from what I'm used to working with.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Reading Reflection 7/5

Journal Entry IV

Journal Entry II